A couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog "Why does bad things happen to good people?" Well this morning while reading I came across this and wanted to share it. Hopefully it will help others that may at one time or another have asked why also.
When bad things happen its an attack of the enemy. The enemy attacks because you are a good person. He always attacks anyone who loves God and lives His way. The only way you can get him to not do this is to become like him. But as long as we have a heart for the things of God, we are his target. The greater your commitment to the Lord becomes, the more the devil will try to harass you. That's why if we are moving into a deeper level of commitment to God, or entering into new ministry or work God is opening up for you, you can depend on the enemy trying to stop it. He will do all he can do to wear you down with discouragement, sickness, confusion, guilt, strife, fear, depression, or defeat. The devil has come to steal, kill, and destroy. But Jesus has come to five you life abundantly.
God has given us many weapons to use against the devil.
Here are five:
1. A powerful weapon against the devil is God's word. Jesus himself used it against the devil when He was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit and Satan came to temp him. Matthew 4:1
2. Another powerful weapon is praise. The devil hates it every time we worship God. That's because he can't tolerate people worshiping anyone but him. When we praise and worship God , His presence dwells powerfully in our midst and the devil has to leave.
3. Obedience. If we are living in sin or walking in disobedience in any way, this leaves the door open in our lives for the devil to gain a point of entry and ultimately a foothold. Bad things happen to us that might be the enemy's work, but it could also be because our own sin has given him a place to erect a stronghold in our life. Confession and repentance will shut the door in his face.
4. Faith. Resist him steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world I Peter 5:8-9 Walking in faith is a powerful tool to avoid the enemy's trap.
5. Prayer and fasting. Prayer is a strong weapon against the enemy. But even more so when you combine it with fasting. Often the hold of the enemy upon our lives can only be broken by prayer and fasting.