Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Makayla "ADD" Part 1 Getting diagnosed

Last week I posted that I had a conference with Makayla's teacher and then an appointment with her pediatrician. That I would explain everything later. Well I dug my heels for as long as I could. I really didn't want her on medicine. I was leery of her being labeled at school, as having to take medicine to control her behaviour. In which she's not a bad child, not disruptive, or mischievous. But I've known for over a year that Makayla had a problem focusing on her work. So after the conference last week I asked Makayla if her mind tried to think about several things at one time. She said no it just drifts off to other things. "I dream of a chocolate land" Wow! Could it get any better than that? Lots, and lots of chocolate. But seriously, her mind wanders when it should be doing school work. Her desk on my goodness every time I happen to be there for a party or something, it's a total wreck. Then there's her handwriting. I don't know how many times we have erased, or started homework completely over. It had all become very frustrating for me, so I'm sure it was for her too. But after talking it over with the two pediatricians that has seen her for the past 6 or so years. In which come to find out, one was on medicine himself when he was a child. I felt alot better about it all. She has been diagnosed as being ADD. I've also explained to her that it's nothing that she has done, just something she was born with. So we tried this morning to start taking the medicine that was prescribed. It's a gel type pill, and this is the first time she's ever had to try and swallow a pill. Just say it didn't go well. We both ended up crying. So we're trying again tomorrow and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, and especially responding back to them. So please leave your email address instead of a no-reply format.
Have a blessed day!!